The power station
The station opened in 1957 to burn peat and generate electricity - a factory turning bog into light. It operated for forty-four years, supplying power to the national grid while Bord na Móna extracted the fuel from the ground around it. The plant finally closed in 2001 after cost considerations made it uneconomical. The closure marked Ireland's beginning of transition away from peat-fired generation.