The Castle and the Ford
The earliest record of a castle at Castlederg is 1497, when the Annals of Ulster record an O'Donnell castle here being taken by the O'Neills, and retaken in 1505. The ford across the River Derg was a strategic crossing between the O'Neill and O'Donnell lordships - the hinge point between Tyrone and Donegal - and both families understood its value. After the Flight of the Earls in 1607, the area was granted to the English Attorney-General for Ireland, Sir John Davies. The Plantation-era Derg Castle - a rectangular bawn with square corner flankers, built in the early 17th century - replaced whatever came before. Its ruins stand on the north bank of the river today. One flanker was lost to flooding. The rest is scheduled as a monument.