Quin Abbey
The Franciscan friary was raised by the MacNamara family between 1402 and 1433, built into and around the walls of the Anglo-Norman castle that Thomas de Clare had put up on the site around 1280. The castle's enormous round corner towers were left standing and folded into the friary plan, which is why the ground layout looks unlike a standard friary. The cloister survives intact, the church and domestic ranges are largely complete, and a spiral stair climbs the tower for a view over the valley. Henry VIII confiscated the friary in 1541, but friars kept returning. Cromwellian forces caused destruction around 1650. The community was finally expelled in 1760, though the last friar, Father John Hogan, lived on and was buried in the friary grounds after his death in 1820. It is a National Monument, managed by the OPW, free to enter, and one of the most complete medieval friaries left in Ireland.