The first station in Wexford
The Bagenalstown & Wexford Railway was authorised by Act of Parliament in 1854 and the first sod was turned at Borris in January 1855. The line was a slow business - money ran short, contracts were re-let, and the route ran out of momentum before it could reach Wexford town. The contractor J.J. Bagnall completed the section as far as Ballywilliam in 1862, and the station opened there that year as the first in County Wexford. For more than twenty years it was the terminus of the line, with goods and passengers transhipping by road for New Ross five miles south. The connecting line south, with its bridge and short tunnel through to New Ross, was finished in 1885. The whole route closed to passengers and freight in 1963 during the post-Beeching rationalisation of Irish rural railways. The station building is still there at the side of the road. The track bed is hedge and bramble.