Achadh Úr · Co. Cavan
Far-west Cavan, where three provinces nearly touch and the railway left sixty years ago.
Arvagh is at the far edge of Cavan, in the corner where the county is ground down thin between Longford to the south and Leitrim to the west. The name comes from the Irish Achadh Úr - the fresh field - which is either modest or accurate depending on the weather. About six hundred people live here, most of them in the surrounding rural parish rather than the village itself. It's been depleted steadily since the Famine, and much of the emigration never fully reversed.
The railway that mattered here was the Midland Great Western's Killashandra branch, which put a halt near Arvagh - Arva Road station - in the late 19th century. Further west, the narrow-gauge Cavan & Leitrim ran its own route from Dromod on the Shannon to Belturbet in north Cavan, hauling Arigna coal - Ireland's only real coalfield - across the drumlins for over seventy years. The MGWR Killashandra branch closed in 1947; the C&L lasted until March 1959. Both left the same thing behind: tracks that became fields and a generation that remembered what the railway had meant.
The three-county border is what gives Arvagh its quiet geographical curiosity. Ulster, Leinster, and Connacht all come within a few kilometres of the village. It meant that historically, Arvagh was a market point for a wider catchment than its size suggested - people came from three directions because it was in none of their counties proper. The Friday market, built up around a market-house put here in the 18th century by the Earl of Gosford, served that catchment. The market is long gone. The borderland feel isn't.
Come if you want to fish Garty Lough on a quiet afternoon, or to stand at a crossroads where three provinces nearly touch, or to follow the old C&L trackbed through the drumlin country on foot. Don't come expecting a village organised around visitors. Arvagh is a place people live in, and it looks like it.