Templerobin and the chapel of Fitz-Robert
The old graveyard at Templerobin, in the townland of Ballymore, holds the ruins of one of the oldest churches on Great Island - possibly one of three on the island dating to the ninth century. It first appears in the written record as the chapel of Fitz-Robert in the papal taxation of the Diocese of Cloyne, 1302 to 1306, the name a nod to the Norman family who held the land. By 1540 to 1541 it was being recorded as Temple Robyn among the rectories of Bridgetown Priory, valued at thirty shillings as the monasteries were dissolved. By 1774 it was reported in ruins, and a ruin is what remains. The burial ground is still in use.