Cill Maodhóg · Co. Kildare
A saint's name, a ruined castle, and the bog at the edge.
Kilmeage is a small parish village on the R415 in west Kildare, between the Hill of Allen and the Grand Canal at Robertstown. The name is the village's best fact - Cill Maodhóg, the church of Saint Maodhóg, a 6th-century monk who trained under Saint David in Wales, returned to Ireland, and founded thirty churches across Leinster before dying in 632. He is the first Bishop of Ferns. Kilmeage is one of the foundations he left behind, and the Irish name has carried that fact intact across fourteen centuries.
The other layer is the Fitzgeralds. The family that gave Kildare its dukedom built a castle here - the Fitzgeralds of Allen, a branch of the Geraldines. In the autumn of 1649, as Cromwellian forces moved through County Kildare, General Hewson's dispatches recorded that the garrison at Kilmeague fired their own castle rather than surrender it. What remained became what remains: a low scatter of stone beside the old church site, on a lane at the edge of the village.
The population was 997 at the last count. The R415 passes through. There is a pub. The bog is visible from the road. Robertstown, with its intact Georgian canal hotel and harbour, is a short drive northeast. The Hill of Allen, with its Victorian folly tower and the long view across the midlands, is southwest. Kilmeage itself is the crossroads between them - useful, quiet, and honest about its own scale.