The bridge and the burning of it
Turlough O'Brien, first Earl of Thomond, and his brother the Bishop of Killaloe built the first bridge across the Shannon here in 1506. It was timber, and Gearoid Mor FitzGerald, eighth Earl of Kildare, burned it in 1510. The O'Briens rebuilt it with two castles, walls twelve feet thick, and a raised wooden span - and in 1537 Leonard Grey, Henry VIII's Lord Deputy, destroyed that one too after a long fight against the rebelling O'Briens. What stands now is mostly the rebuild of around 1750, with the six eastern arches replaced by the Shannon Commissioners in 1842 and a navigation arch cut during the Ardnacrusha works of the late 1920s. The village name on the Clare side - O'Briensbridge - is the family's, stamped on the river permanently.