The bridge of 1506
Turlough O'Brien, first Earl of Thomond, and his brother the Bishop of Killaloe built the first bridge across the Shannon here in 1506. It was timber, and Gearoid Mor FitzGerald, eighth Earl of Kildare, burned it in 1510. The O'Briens rebuilt it with two castles, walls twelve feet thick, one on each bank, linked by a seven-arch wooden span that rose fifteen feet above the water. In 1537 Leonard Grey, Henry VIII's Lord Deputy, destroyed that too after a long fight against the rebelling O'Briens. The later stone bridge was built around 1750, partly replaced by the Shannon Commissioners in 1842, and modified with a navigation arch during the Ardnacrusha hydro works of the 1920s. The family name is stamped on the river permanently.